Updated: August 1, 2019
Information We Collect
The collection, processing, storage, use, and disclosure of Personal Data in the business context is essential to the conduct of many of Kite’s business functions. Kite may collect Personal Data and other information from individuals directly and/or from third parties, subject to applicable law and as further described below. Kite processes Personal Data where you consent to us doing so. However, there are a number of instances where Kite does not require your consent to engage in the processing of Personal Data. Kite may not solicit your consent for the processing or transfer of Personal Data for those purposes which have a statutory or legal basis, such as where:
- it is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and Kite (or one of its affiliates);
- it is necessary for the performance of a contract, concluded in your interest, between Kite (or one of its affiliates) and a third party;
- it is necessary, or legally required, on important public interest grounds, for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims, or to protect your vital interests; or
- it is required by applicable law.
Kite collects, uses and discloses your Personal Data in its normal course of business for the following purposes:
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- Where you have requested participation in a clinical trial with Kite or one of Kite’s partners;
- Disease management, education, or decision support systems related to the use of Kite products;
- Where you have requested support from Kite, assisting you in the completion of your application, the assessment of your eligibility for any requested offering, the processing and maintenance of the offering, as well as any applicable renewal of such offering;
- Responding to your inquiries about applications, trials and other offerings;
- Making proposals for future needs;
- Allowing our affiliated companies to notify you of certain products or services offered by our affiliated companies;
- Processing transactions through service providers;
- Meeting legal, security, processing, and regulatory requirements;
- Protecting against fraud, suspicious or other illegal activities; and
- Compiling statistics for analysis of our sites and our business.
How We Collect
We may collect Personal Data from you in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to:
(ii) Participation in clinical trials: If you participate in a clinical trial with Kite, or one of our partners, we will collect Personal Data about you as is necessary to fulfill the purpose of the clinical trial. This can include sensitive personal information such as biological and medical information about you. However, Personal Data will be kept in such a manner that the information can no longer be attributed to a specific individual without the use of additional information, provided that such additional information is kept separately, to both protect your privacy as well as maintain the integrity of the clinical trial.
(iii) Treatment with commercially available therapy: If you are treated with Kite’s commercially available therapy, we will collect Personal Data about you as is necessary for safety and efficacy purposes. This can include sensitive personal information such as biological and medical information about you.
(iv) Children: Kite does not knowingly collect Personal Data from children. Children should not submit any Personal Data through the Site.
(v) Other information: We may collect non-identifiable information about you whenever you interact with the Site. Non-identifiable information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about your means of connection to the Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
Our Protection of Your Personal Data and Other Information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your Personal Data and other information and data stored on the Site.
Our Disclosure of Your Personal Data and Other Information
Third parties to whom we disclose information are required by law and/or contractual undertakings to keep your Personal Data confidential and secure; and to use and disclose it in compliance with all applicable legislation, which purposes are as follows:
- As is necessary to fulfill a clinical trial to which you are a participant;
- To provide the products and services you have requested from us;
- To notify you, or allow our affiliated companies to notify you of certain products or services offered by our affiliated companies;
- For legal, regulatory, and related purposes; and
- To process transactions through data processing service providers.
There are certain circumstances in which we may share your Personal Data and other information with certain third parties without further notice to you, as set forth below.
- Agents, Consultants and Third Parties: Kite sometimes hires other companies to perform certain business-related functions, including maintaining databases. When we employ another company to perform a function of this nature, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function.
- Legal Requirements: Kite may disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (i) comply with a legal obligation; (ii) protect and defend the rights or property of Kite; (iii) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Kite employees, users of the Site or the public; (iv) protect against legal liability; (v) enforce the terms and conditions that apply to use of the Site; or (vi) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties.
Where Kite relies on consent for the fair and lawful processing of Personal Data, the opportunity to consent will be provided prior to when the Personal Data in question is collected. Your consent may be given through your authorized representative such as a legal guardian, agent, or holder of a power of attorney. Where Kite relies on consent, you will be entitled to withdraw that consent at any time.
Data Integrity, Purpose Limitation and Retention
Kite will use Personal Data only in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was collected, or consented to by the individual. Kite will have appropriate steps in place to ensure that Personal Data is relevant to its intended use, accurate, complete, and current. Kite will only store Personal Data for as long as it is needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, subject to applicable data retention periods imposed upon Kite by applicable law. This may mean that your Personal Data is stored by Kite for a number of years, depending on the purpose and need for that data to be processed. For more information about Kite’s retention periods for Personal Data, please refer to the contact information section below.
Where individuals have rights under laws applicable to them and upon written request, Kite will grant individuals’ access to Personal Data that it holds about them, subject to any legal restrictions. In addition, Kite will permit individuals to correct, amend, or delete information that is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete or to object to certain types of processing of such information or to data portability, in certain circumstances and subject to certain exceptions provided by law. Kite may not be able to comply with a request where Personal Data has been destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with Kite’s record retention obligations and practices. In the event that Kite cannot provide an individual with access to his/her Personal Data or otherwise comply with a request, Kite will endeavor to provide the individual with an explanation, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Links to Third Party Websites
You may find advertising or other content on the Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from the Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to the Site, is subject to that website's own terms and policies.
Kite has implemented reasonable physical, technical and managerial controls and safeguards to keep your Personal Data protected from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Such measures may include, but are not limited to: the encryption of communications, encryption of information while it is in storage, firewalls, access controls, separation of duties, and similar security protocols.
Access to Personal Data is limited to a restricted number of Kite employees whose duties reasonably require such information, third parties with whom Kite contracts to carry out business activities for Kite, and certain companies with which Kite may conduct joint programs. Kite trains its employees on the importance of privacy and how to handle and manage Personal Data appropriately and securely.
Kite Pharma, Inc.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
All communications to Kite should include the individual’s name and contact information (such as e-mail address, phone number, or mailing address), and a detailed explanation of the request. E-mail requests to delete, amend, or correct Personal Data should include “Deletion Request” or “Amendment/Correction Request,” as applicable, in the subject line of the e-mail. Kite will endeavor to respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner, and in any case, within any time limits prescribed by applicable local law.
If you are an EU citizen and/or accessing Site or Services in the European Economic Area, then this Supplement may apply in addition to the above.
Transfers of your Personal Data may be made to entities located outside the European Economic Area, including entities located in the United States, for processing consistent with the purposes above. Kite will implement appropriate contractual measures (including standard data protection clauses, a copy of which you can obtain by contacting email@example.com) to ensure that the relevant Kite affiliates and third parties outside the European Economic Area provide an adequate level of protection to your Personal Data as set out in this notice and as required by applicable law.
For the processing of Personal Data relating to the European Economic Area, Kite has assigned a data protection officer responsible for overseeing our compliance with EU data protection law, who you may contact at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of any questions or concerns regarding the processing of your Personal Data.
If Kite’s processing of your Personal Data is covered by EU law you may also lodge a complaint with the corresponding data protection supervisory authority in your country of residence. You can find the relevant supervisory authority name and contact details under http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.